Listed from North to South.

PARKS &WATER

Centennial Watershed State Forest

(864 acres)
In 2002, Connecticut, in partnership with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), acquired ownership of roughly 6,000 acres of public supply watershed lands, as well as, conservation and public access easements on an additional 9,000 acres. The Centennial Watershed State Forest is a patchwork of hundreds of scattered parcels throughout mostly Fairfield County of varying size. Most of the parcels are hard to find, not well marked and have limited public access.
Sixty parcels, consisting of roughly 864 acres and ranging in size of less than an acre to over 100 acres, are located in Monroe and Trumbull, several near the Pequonnock River Trail. None of these parcels have designated hiking trails or public access. The primary function and purpose of the parcels is to protect water quality, wetlands and woodlands.

Gardner Road Reserve

(65 acres)
The reserve is a wooded, undeveloped open space.

Lanes Mines Park

(50 acres)
A wooded community park featuring hiking and shared equestrian trails. Parking available.

 

Pequonnock River Reservoir (West)

copy here.

Wolfe Park

(331 acres)
The town started buying and developing. Wolfe Park in 1967 and has added to It significantly over the years. The park features a swimming pool, basketball and tennis courts, football field, several baseball diamonds and soccer fields, playgrounds and picnic areas with tables, grills and pavilions. Several buildings provide food and drink, lockers, restrooms and showers. The Great Hollow Lake is located on the western side of the park and offers a sandy beach, fishing, and boating (non-motorized). Hiking trails are scattered throughout the park

The PRT runs along the west edge of park

Great Hollow Lake

copy here.

Pequonnock River Reservoir (South)

copy here.

 

Old Mine Park

(Historic Mine Area Dedication) (72.1 acres)

The park was the site of a tungsten mining operation from 1897 to about 1916. Today, it features hiking trails to the old mines, an open multi-purpose field, two pavilions and picnic areas. The Pequonnock River flows through the park. A small dam impounds the river creating a small pond. A recent riparian restoration was completed along the west side of the pond. The PRT passes through Old Mine Park.

Pequonnock River at Old Mine Park

copy here.

Parlor Rock Historic Amusement Area

(2.5 acres)

The area is the site of an historic amusement park built by the Housatonic Railroad as a way of promoting the rail line. Located north of present-day Whitney Avenue, Parlor Rock Park was named for the large rock outcroppings in the area. Accessible only by train, the park first provided only a picnic area, but was expanded to include a dance hall, roller skating rink, gazebos, a carousel, croquet grounds, a man-made lake for boating, and a toboggan slide. It was the first area in Trumbull to use electricity, generated by an on-site grist mill. Parlor Rock operated from 1878 to 1908.

The PRT passes over the historic rail through Parlor Rock Park. A small “rest area” is located within the park area for users of the PRT.

Tashua Knolls Recreation Area

(246 acres)

This community park contains various active recreational uses. Including an open to the public 18 hole golf course and a 9-hole golf course, swimming pool, playground, and lighted tennis and basketball courts. A public clubhouse and restaurant is located adjacent to the golf course.

Kaatz Pond

copy here.

Indian Ledge Park

(104.6 acres)

A high activity park hosts large municipal family-events and concerts at its amphitheater stage, including the Town’s annual summer concert and Fallen Heroes Recognition Event. It also has a BMX race track and hosts national BMX races Other facilities include a regulation sized lighted softball field, two multi-purpose fields, an artificial turf field affording four-season field play for soccer and lacrosse, community playground with picnic areas, sledding hill and bocce courts. The Town’s Youth Drop-In Center and Teen Youth Center are located in the park, and is home of the Trumbull dog park.

Pequonnock River Valley

copy here.

Pequonnock Valley Wildlife Area

(382 acres)
The Pequonnock River Valley is a scenic, wooded area offering a rugged and varied landscape within a steep walled valley. It provides a secluded environment with large outcrops of granite rocks and cliffs.
The Pequonnock Valley was jointly purchased from the Aquarian Water Company by Trumbull and the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection in 1989 and is managed as a state wildlife area. The area was once the industrial center of the Town of Trumbull with several mills located along the river. Many remnants of Trumbull’s industrial past are still evident throughout the park.
The Housatonic Railroad through the Pequonnock Valley, serving the industries located there. It was chartered in 1836 with service beginning in 1840. The rail line transported goods and raw materials to industries in Bridgeport with some freight being placed on steamboats to access markets in New York City. It also provided passenger service allowing riders to travel to Bridgeport and make a connection to the main rail line. As a way of attracting riders and generating business, the Housatonic Railroad Company built and operated the Parlor Rock Amusement Park within the Valley. The railroad was the only way to access the amusement park.
Initially the Housatonic Railroad ran from Bridgeport to New Milford, but was extended to the state line and connected with the Berkshire spur that ran to Stockbridge, MA. Branch lines were added to expand service to other parts of western Connecticut, including Danbury, New Haven, and Norwalk, as well as to Pittsfield, MA. Roughly 60 station stops were served by Housatonic Railroad, including four in the region — North Bridgeport, Trumbull Center, Long Hill (Trumbull) and Stepney (Monroe). The Housatonic Railroad was leased to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad in 1892 and fully merged in 1898. The last train ran through Trumbull in 1935 and, eventually, the line was abandoned south of Botsford, a section of the Town of Newtown .
Today, the park preserves a section of the rail bed, which has been converted into a multi-use path, and provides rugged hiking trails and seasonal (October through December) hunting for small game and waterfowl. Mountain biking is allowed throughout the area. While the rail bed is wide and flat, the east side of the river offers a wide variety of terrain and technical, single-track trails.

Robert G. Beach Memorial Park

(331.0 acres)

A wooded community park featuring a swimming pool, hiking trails and a small ice skating pond.

Twin Brooks Park

(83.2 acres)

A community park with natural ponds, hiking trails and Memorial Walkway. The largest of the ponds provides a natural swimming area. A large multi-purpose field is available with a playground and covered pavilions. A covered bridge crosses the Pequonnock River and serves as a gateway feature into the park. Existing walkways through the park were recently widened and extended to multi-use trail standards and designated as part of the PRT.

A wooden pedestrian bridge and walkway leads to contiguous Vietnam Memorial Park, which is dedicated to the service personnel who died during the Vietnam conflict. It contains a monument, benches and flower plantings.

Pequonnock River at Twin Brooks

copy here.

Unity Park

(35.1 acres)

An active community park featuring ball fields, basketball, tennis, volley and horseshoe courts, and an ice skating pond. The baseball fields include regulation Little League and Babe Ruth League diamonds and a softball field,

Unity Park Pond

copy here.

Beardsley State Park and Preserve

(123.7 acres)
The Beardsley State Park and Preserve is a wooded and essentially undeveloped park located in the Town of Trumbull and north of Beardsley Park and Zoo. The land was donated to the City of Bridgeport by the Fairchild family in the late 1800s for use as a public park. It was formerly known as Fairchild Memorial Park. The City maintains it parks and recreation facility within the park. In 1992, Bridgeport transferred ownership to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
The Pequonnock River flows through the park and forms its northeastern border. The river is a prominent feature in the southern half of the park where it widens and flows over large rocks and boulders. While the park is undeveloped, Trumbull Road and River Road once extended through and provided access to the park. Both roads were closed to traffic during the construction of the Route 25 Expressway, which bi-sects the park. A new regional magnet high school is being built on the west side of the park.

Beardsley Park & Zoo

(126 acres)
Beardsley Park is the third oldest park in Bridgeport. It was created in 1878, when James W. Beardsley donated more than 100 acres land along the Pequonnock River. He stipulated that the land be preserve as a public park. Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted (ca. 1881) was hired by the City to create a “pastoral” park, using the existing contours of land, naturalistic plantings, a “rustic” arrangement of boulders, curving roadways and few intrusions. The intent was not to present the landscape in a formal manner but to plant trees that appeared natural.

Although the park was created for passive uses with large lawns, picnic tables and walking paths, it is an example of Olmsted’s large country parks designed to serve a variety of recreational activities for the entire city. Several ball fields and playgrounds have been built over the years,

A dam was constructed at the south end of the park to impound the Pequonnock River and create Bunnells Pond, a 33 acre city reservoir. Fishing is allowed along the Pequonnock River and from the shores of Bunnells Pond, but boating and swimming are prohibited.

The Barnum and Bailey circus used Bridgeport as its winter quarters and animals were exercised in the park. This led the City to establish a zoo in the park in the 1920s. Retired circus animals and donations of exotic birds from local residents were the first occupants of Beardsley Zoo. Greenhouses and animal enclosures were subsequently built by the city and the number and diversity of animals grew. Today, it is the state’s only zoo and features more than 300 animals, mostly from North and South America, including several endangered species

Beardsley Park and Zoo were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. The park is considered a good example of a rural park and the type for which Frederick Law Olmsted established his national reputation.

The PRT extends through the park, along the east edge of the Pequonnock River and Bunnells Pond.

Pequonnock River at Beardsley Park

copy here.

Bunnell's Pond

This was listed on the original map I was sent (summer 2012) but was not listed in the final list of Water features from Mark on 4/16/13. Please advise.

Glenwood Park & Wonderland of Ice

(12.1 acres)
A neighborhood park located just south of Beardsley Park and below the Bunnells Pond dam. It features basketball and tennis courts and an indoor ice skating and curling facility (Wonderland of Ice). The rink offers a variety of programs, including learn to skate, youth hockey and open public skating. The curling facility is the home of the Nutmeg Curling Club; it hosts curling tournaments (known as “bonspiels”), learn to curl programs, and high school and college curling programs.

Knowlton Park

This is a small, neighborhood park located along the east bank of the Pequonnock River. Phase I of park construction is underway. Once completed, the park will provide benches, basketball courts and access to the river.

Water Street Dock

(3 acres)
The Water Street Dock and Ferry Terminal is situated within Bridgeport harbor and has about 1,000 feet of frontage along the Pequonnock River. It serves as the embarkation point for car and passenger ferry service to Port Jefferson, Long Island. The terminal houses a cafeteria, and ferry information center. The dock’s boardwalk provides a pleasant walkway and connection between ferry terminal building and the Bridgeport rail station and downtown area.

Bridgeport Harbor

copy here.

Waterfront Park

(12.1 acres)
This park is located along the New Haven rail line viaduct and extends over the Pequonnock River as a wooden deck and boardwalk. It extends about 350 feet from Stratford and provides access to the New Haven bound rail platform. The decks and boardwalk offer opportunities for public access to the river.

Seaside Park

(370 acres)
Seaside Park was developed over time between about 1865 and 1920 and formed in part by draining marsh and open water and installing dykes. P.T. Barnum is mostly responsible for envisioning a marine park converted from pasture land, wood lots and salt marsh. The park was laid out by Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted with lush lawns, shady glades and sports fields rolling toward Long Island Sound. It extends along about three miles of coastline. At the western end of the park is Fayerweather Island. Its lighthouse was used for navigation into and out of Black Rock Harbor. Today, visitors can walk to Fayerweather Island over a breakwater that connects the island to the mainland.
The City has installed designated bicycle routes along the park’s road and there is a dedicated bicycle path at the west end. Other facilities include baseball, softball and soccer fields, a band shell, bath houses, walking paths and picnic areas. Fishing is allowed along the seawall and access to Long Island Sound is available via a boat launch ramp, as well as car-top boat access.

Pleasure Beach

(71 acres)
Pleasure Beach is the western part of a barrier beach of Long Island Sound connected to the Lordship section of the Town of Stratford via Long Beach. It is separated from the mainland of Bridgeport by Lewis Gut. The park is comprised of beach, sand, vegetative dunes and grasslands. Remnants of structures and park facilities are scattered around the area. Much of the salt marsh north of Pleasure Beach and across Lewis Gut is part of the Stewart B. McKinney Wildlife Refuge. An amusement park was once located on the parcel and was a popular destination for city and area residents. Facilities included a boardwalk, carousel, a roller skating rink and roller coaster. The most popular attraction was the dancing pavilion and ballroom. It was accessed from the City by a wooden swing bridge that could be opened to allow boat access to the navigable reaches of Lewis Gut.
Water Street Dock and Ferry Terminal is situated within Bridgeport harbor and has about 1,000 feet of frontage along the Pequonnock River. It serves as the embarkation point for car and passenger ferry service to Port Jefferson, Long Island. The terminal houses a cafeteria, and ferry information center. The dock’s boardwalk provides a pleasant walkway and connection between ferry terminal building and the Bridgeport rail station and downtown area.

FISHING AREAS

Fish Stocked by CT DEEP

Pequonnock Reservoir (West)

Monroe (1.4 acres)

 

Fish Species
Large Mouth Bass and Sunfish

 

Season
Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–December 31

 

Permit required to fish
contact Aquarion Water Company
at 203-452-3511

 

Great Hollow Lake

Wolfe Park, Monroe (15 acres)

 

Fish Species
Trout (stocked)

 

Season
Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–November 30

 

Kaatz Pond (Children’s Pond)

Trumbull (2 acres)

 

Season
Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–November 30

 

Fishing restricted to children under age 16

 

Twin Brooks Pond

Twin Brooks Park, Trumbull (4 acres)

 

Fish Species
Trout (stocked)

 

Season
Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–last day February

 

Ice Fishing Prohibited

 

Bunnells Pond

Beardsley Park, Bridgeport (33 acres)

 

Fish Species
Channel Catfish (stocked)
Trout (stocked)

 

Season
Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–November 30

 

Ice Fishing Prohibited

 

Pequonnock River

(Intermittent Sections) Monroe, Trumbull and Bridgeport

 

Pequonnock River (West), Monroe

from the West Pequonnock Reservoir along Route 25

 

Pequonnock River, Trumbull

through Old Mine Park, Pequonnock Valley State Wildlife Preserve, Twin Brooks Park, Unity Park and Beardsley State Park

 

Pequonnock River, Trumbull

Trophy Trout Stream through Pequonnock Valley State Wildlife Preserve from the Whitney Avenue bridge to the Daniels Farm Road bridge

 

Pequonnock River, Bridgeport

through Beardsley State Park